Types of Computing
Understanding the cloud by its counter parts.
On Premesis Computing
On premesis computing is the typical scenario where all of the necessary
infrastructure necessary to your processes is located in your physical location.
- I buy my own hardware.
- I manage my own data center.
- I have complete control and responsibility for my systems.
- I am heavily invested in capital costs.
Hosted computing is where you outsource certain physical portions of your IT
infrastructure to a hosting company. This is typeically done by either shared
hosting or by leased servers depending on the requirements.
- I specify my hardware requirements.
- I pay for a fixed capacity.
In a shared hosting environment I only control the services I need such as web
- I am not required to do updates so my maintenance cost is lowered.
- My services may go down for routine maintenance at times I do not control.
- I probably have restricted bandwitdth that cannot be easily changed.
Cloud computing is something new. Basically it could be described as utility
computing where you only pay for the actual consumption of resources you require
at any given time.
- I can purchase computing power on the fly.
- I have no hardware specification requirements only service requirements.
- I pay for only the data storage I require.
I can configure the computing and storage services to meet my exact
- I can manage my computing resources myself.
My resources are abstracted from a pool of servers so uptime is guaranteed at
- I pay as I go for only the services I require.
I can scale up my computing power and storage requirements any time I need to
and then scale them back down again if I so desire.